Essential Oil Basics
NOT ALL ESSENTIAL OILS ARE CREATED EQUAL
The essential oils I use and recommend are dōTERRA® Essential Oils. This is super important. There are no additives, fillers, or pesticides. Completely organic. They are sourced where they grow indigenously. Easily said, they source the plant where it grows best. Optimal soil. Optimal growing conditions. They are in-house and third-party tested on multiple levels to ensure you are getting EXACTLY what that bottle says. Nothing more, nothing less. When you sum that up, you are getting the best oil delivered to your door without leaving the comfort of your couch.
SIMPLE SWAPS. LARGE REWARDS.
Whether you're wanting to use essential oils for relaxation, personal hygiene, household cleaning, cooking or supporting healthy bodies rest assured, I've got you covered...naturally! It's no secret that we are surrounded by toxins on a daily basis. Swapping out some of your current products with a more natural option will result in a healthier you.
Have questions on how to use essential oils for your family's health concerns? Let's chat so you can ask your questions in a one-on-one setting and receive safe usage recommendations. You don't have to buy anything, but if you see something you like I can help you order. Looking forward to connecting with you!
WHAT IS AN ESSENTIAL OIL?
Essential Oils are derived from plants for physical and emotional benefits. They are distilled from leaves, flowers, tree bark, seeds, or rind of fruit in concentrated amounts. Think of them as the immune system of the plant. Typically one drop of a dōTERRA® essential oil has a powerful effect making them affordable at just pennies per use!
HOW DO I USE ESSENTIAL OILS?
You will soon learn that there are hundreds of ways to use dōTERRA® essential oils, including relaxation, personal hygiene, household cleaning, cooking, and supporting a healthy body. Every oil has at least one of three application methods: Aromatic, Topical, or Internal.
For Aromatic Use ~ Breathe in or use a diffuser to open up airways, improve mood, or freshen the air.
For Topical Use ~ Use a carrier oil when applying to bottoms of feet or affected areas to target specific needs.
For Internal Use ~ Drop in water, under tongue, or in veggie capsule to support mouth, throat, digestive system, or overall health.
WHAT ARE SOME BASIC SAFETY TIPS?
1) Photosensitivity - No sunbathing after applying citrus essential oils. Citrus oils are sensitive to the sun since they are made from the rind of fruit. Avoid direct sunlight to the exposed area for at least 12 hours or that location may have a skin irritation or burn. Oils applied underneath clothing should be fine.
2) Hot Oils - If it starts to burn, skip the water. Use a carrier oil or whole fat milk. Because essential oils don't mix with water, applying water to the area can actually drive the burn in deeper. Ouch!
3) Avoid These Areas - Never put essential oils in your eyes, inside ear canal, or up nose. However, you may apply oils around the eye bone in a C shape, on ear cartilage and behind ear bone, or diffuse essential oils.
4) Dilution - Use a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil when applying essential oils topically to avoid skin sensitization.
5) Safe Storage - The majority of all adverse reactions to essential oils by children have been as a direct result of accidental overdose and ingestion in large amounts. Keep out of reach of children. Use child proof safety caps.
Here are some of the most commonly used essential oils and their uses. Want to see more? Go to the SHOP tab to the look at the product categories.